Sing to the Lord, Part 1


The minister was preaching a series of sermons on the Psalms. I was inspired to write one of my own, so I wrote this in the spirit of Psalm 148. I taught this to the congregation to sing during this series, but it didn’t go over well. It seemed people were intimidated by the melismas in the chorus. I did try to slow it down a little, but the song loses the exuberance I was looking for when not up to tempo, so I just gave up on having our church sing it.

If you want to give it a go, I’ve included the sheet music for download here.

As for why I wrote it? Do we really need a particular reason to sing to the Lord?

🔊 Listen online here.
💾 Download here.

Sing to the Lord! Give Him honor and praise!
Let our hearts gladly raise
Psalms of joy evermore!
Sing to the Lord! Lift His name up on high!
Let the vaults of the sky ring with song!

Alleluia! Alleluia! O sing we unto the Lord!
Alleluia! Alleluia! O sing we unto the Lord!

Sing to the Lord! Raise to Heaven your voice!
Clap your hands and rejoice
For the good He bestows!
Sing to the Lord! Shout with gladness and mirth!
Let the ends of the earth ring with song!

Alleluia! Alleluia! O sing we unto the Lord!
Alleluia! Alleluia! O sing we unto the Lord!

Sing to the Lord! For His mercies are sure,
And His love doth endure
To the end of the Age!
Sing to the Lord! Whose salvation is free!
Let the depths of the sea ring with song!

Alleluia! Alleluia! O sing we unto the Lord!
Alleluia! Alleluia! O sing we unto the Lord!


Words & Music Copyright © 2003 by Robert Ritter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Freedom Ring

Adieu, Au Revoir, À Demain

Wings of a Dove